5 Simple, Fun Ideas for Family Fitness

You know why exercise is important for your family — it can increase life expectancy, lower heart risks, help control weight, and improve school performance. And it helps kids to burn off some energy. Plus, perhaps most importantly, because inactive children are likely to become inactive adults, making family activities and fitness part of your child’s life at an early age can go a long way toward helping them form healthy habits for life.

But don’t expect your kids to understand — or even care — about those things. Your job is to make them see that exercise is fun. When exercise feels like play, your whole family will enjoy it more and be more likely to stick with it.

As a parent, you are a powerful role model. If you find ways to be more active every day, your kids will follow your lead.

Here are five ideas for family fitness that can get you all moving.

How to change your fitness routine? Bring along your family ..

family fitness swimming day - pose

1. Make Time to Play

Set aside 30 minutes three times a week to do fun exercises with your kids. Make it a part of your after-school or after-dinner routine. If your kids are young, they might enjoy hopscotch or hide-and-seek. Kick a soccer ball around with older children. Go for swimming, and many more.

Also plan at least one family activity every weekend. It can be as simple as taking little ones to the playground — or as challenging as an all-day hike with your teenager.

A key to getting kids moving is planning time for physical activities. You can find that time by turning off the TV, for starters — and keeping TVs out of the kids’ bedrooms. Then offer a variety of family activities, both competitive and noncompetitive. Exploring different ways to move their bodies will help children find exercises they enjoy and want to stick with for the long run.

2. Walk or Bicycle Everywhere You Can

Use muscle power: Bike or walk to the grocery store, library, or to your child’s school or sports events. Go for a 30-minute family walk after dinner instead of heading right for the television. Track everyone’s mileage or steps with a pedometer, and try to add more distance every week. Use a family exercise log or colourful stickers to track your progress. Put your log or chart on the refrigerator as a reminder to keep up the good effort together.

family fitness swimming day

3. Plan Active Family Gatherings

Serve up family fitness as well as cake at your child’s birthday party by planning active games such as tag or relay races. Older kids might enjoy throwing a dance party.

Any large gathering of kids is also a great opportunity to play a team sport. Just head to a nearby soccer field or basketball court. Other active party ideas: a pool party, in-line or ice skating, or climbing at an indoor rock gym.

At family or holiday gatherings, turn off the TV and take a walk around the neighbourhood or go for a short hike at a local park. Or get everyone outside for a game of catch or shooting hoops.

4. Sing and Dance While You Clean

Set aside time for household chores and do them together as a family. Play music as you clean, and take turns choosing favorite songs. Younger children love to help out and can pick up toys or sweep floors while dancing with the broom. Older kids can dust, vacuum, and help make beds.

family fitness swimming day - hamzah

5. Make Yard Work Less of a Chore for More Family Exercise

Enjoy seasonal yard work together. Younger children can help plant and tend a garden. Older kids can rake leaves into a pile — and then jump in it. Make snow shovelling fun for all by building a snow fort or creating a family of snow people.

Source: WebMD

Anyway, exercise is only contribute to the 20% of your wellness, the other 80% is about healthy nutrition and proper diet. I wouldn’t believe it too at first. But I was stuck in my big body for few years till my third child. You can read my experience here in Bye Yoyo diet. If you want to know more, Please contact me now . I’ll try to help as best as I can.

#GoFitWithMe #FitMalaysia

Stay fit, Stay Healthy, More Ibadah.